Patriot Venture Capital Group, LLC seeks out innovative and passionate entrepreneurs to turn exciting ideas into successful businesses. While Patriot pursues investment opportunities in all sectors, our historical focus has been on early stage information technology, financial services, medical devices and pharmaceutical companies. In addition, Patriot searches for secondary market investments in those and other asset classes, including real estate, manufacturing, retail, wholesale distribution and others in strategic areas. Patriot is headed up by its founder and Managing Director, Henry Ian Pass, Esq., whose combined legal and business acumen since 1975 lends itself to Patriot’s keen ability to identify and evaluate potential investment opportunities and the creative management teams that optimize the likelihood of investment success.
Patriot’s Managing Director, Henry I. Pass, Esq., is a transactional and commercial litigation attorney practicing in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, a close suburb of Philadelphia. Mr. Pass has developed a diverse and sophisticated boutique business oriented practice with an emphasis in corporate, commercial and real estate transactions, and commercial and securities litigation. Since 1975, he has handled a wide variety of matters, such as business formations, business acquisitions and divestitures, business disputes, venture capital investments, broker-dealer and related securities litigation, software licensing and development, real estate sales and purchases, financing, leasing, construction projects and disputes, and partnership and shareholder disputes. Such wide-ranging expertise gives Mr. Pass unique insight into the challenges faced by both emerging and mature businesses and the skill set necessary to identify promising business investment opportunities.
Mr. Pass is very active in the M&A, venture capital and private equity communities and has been a staunch supporter of efforts to foster a world class private equity and entrepreneurial environment in the Greater Philadelphia area. He has been particularly active in several organizations working to make the Greater Philadelphia region one of North America’s top private equity markets, including serving as a member of the Board of Directors of each of the following organizations, allowing him to provide informed advice on a wide variety of investment issues:
- The PACT Alliance (formerly known as the Greater Philadelphia Venture Group) strives to develop a world class private equity and entrepreneurial environment by supporting programs and infrastructure that attract and generate better investment opportunities, effective, high quality private equity educational programs, initiatives that raise the Greater Philadelphia region=s positive economic profile, and frequent and pervasive networking opportunities.
- Mr. Pass’ interest in the areas of investment and emerging business, both as an attorney and an angel investor, led to his involvement as a founding member of the Private Investors Forum (“PIF”), an angel investor network that provides a forum for entrepreneurs to present their business plans to investors for the purpose of obtaining capital. Mr. Pass has been an active member of PIF, at one time serving as Chairperson of the Deal Flow Committee of PIF’s predecessor, the Pennsylvania Private Investors Group, where his responsibilities included identifying businesses for possible investment by members. PIF is also responsible for organizing and hosting the Angel Venture Fair, one of America’s premier early stage venture capital forums, held annually in Philadelphia.
- A continuing interest in entrepreneurial endeavors led Mr. Pass to become a member of the Board of Directors of the Entrepreneur=s Forum of Greater Philadelphia, Inc. (“EFGP”), an organization dedicated to fostering entrepreneurial activity among early stage companies and entrepreneurs in the metropolitan Philadelphia area. EFGP serves as a clearing house and focal point offering entrepreneurs, inventors, investors and professional advisors a forum to exchange ideas, advice and investment opportunities, and provides information, programming, resources and networking opportunities to the entrepreneurial community.
Mr. Pass is also an active member of the Association for Corporate Growth, SIFMA, Life Sciences PA and the National Association of Corporate Directors, and has served as a panelist or presenter in a number of areas, including the following:
- He led a panel discussion focusing on the business and legal aspects of angel private equity investments at the Private Investor Forum’s Angel Venture Fair Education Conference.
- He and his colleagues served on a panel entitled “Idea Generation and Validation, the Business Plan” at the Eighth Annual Wharton Entrepreneurship Conference, which focused on the challenges entrepreneurs often encounter in formulating ideas for business ventures and preparing business plans to implement them.
- He co-presented a workshop entitled “Secondaries: a Legal and Taxation Perspective” at the Strategic Research Institute’s Third Annual Liquidity Alternatives in Private Equity Program, during which he discussed legal issues in secondary market private equity transactions such as due diligence; transfer restrictions; capital calls and clawbacks, representations and warranties, and indemnities; title issues; securities issues, and legal opinions.
- While serving on the Board of Directors of the Greater Philadelphia Venture Group (now known as the PACT Alliance), Mr. Pass actively participated in the organization’s Venture Institute V, where he facilitated discussions about early stage investments..
- He was recently invited to be interviewed on WWDB’s “Lifestyles” radio program, where he discussed the evolution and success of Patriot, his business boutique law practice and the types of matters for which clients and investors seek his legal and business acumen. He has also been a featured speaker on WWDB’s Executive Leaders radio program where he addressed the types of legal issues investors might encounter in dealing with their investment professionals.
Mr. Pass is a cum laude graduate of the Temple University School of Law, where he served as a Research Editor and Associate Editor of the Temple Law Quarterly. He holds a B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, with distinction, from Boston University. During his tenure in the Honors Program at Boston University, Mr. Pass was appointed by Boston Mayor Kevin H. White to serve as the Director of the Boston Urban Corps. In 1977, Mr. Pass returned to Temple as a part-time instructor in its Department of Legal and Real Estate Studies. He was formerly Associate General Counsel for The Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company, where he was responsible for a wide variety of corporate and real estate transactions, tax matters and commercial litigation involving Penn Mutual’s business operations, mergers and acquisitions and multi-billion dollar investment portfolio that included a variety of venture capital investments. His boutique law business practice started in 1981, and Patriot was launched in 2002.
Mr. Pass is a member of the Pennsylvania and Massachusetts Bars, the American, Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and Montgomery County Bar Associations, and the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association, and serves on various committees of those organizations focusing on issues germane to the venture capital and private equity community. He is also a member of the Temple Law Alumni Association.
For over 10 years, Mr. Pass has served as counsel to the Nantucket Preservation Trust. He has served as Assistant Secretary to the Board of Directors of The Pennsylvania Trust Company since 2011. He is also an avid rower with the storied Vesper Boat Club on Boathouse Row in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he is a member of the Board of Directors.